Friday, February 22, 2008

Going thru stuff

So as most of you know, my mom passed away 2 weeks ago. She had been living down at my Aunt's 2nd home on the back of her property. She had it fixed up really cute...and then she got sick and had to quit work and my Aunt let her live there at no charge...Now that mom is gone, we need to clean out the cottage and get it back to normal so that my Aunt can re-rent it again. So, tonight, I've been down there going thru some of Mom's things to see what I can use, what I want etc. What an awful feeling! I felt like I was a scavenger of some sort! I even took a bag of napkins my mom had in her pantry because I was out!! I've got all her jewelry too...but to anyone that knows me, I'm not a jewelry person! I wear my wedding ring...a necklace that Dale gave me when we got engaged that means the world to me...and the occassional bracelet or anklet...that's it. But she has TONS of it. I guess i should offer some to some of the family...I dont know what's worth what! I dont know what most of the gems even are!

And logic tells me if i dont take it and Steven (my brother) doesn't ...what are we to do with it then?? I've given some things to my Aunt...I'm giving a computer to my cousin...some other cousins have requested some of her dolphin stuff (Mom has a HUGE collection of dolphin things..but I prefer her collection of Angels.)

We're also planning a garage sale on March 8 to get rid of the stuff that doesn't get a home with us. That should be equally morbid.

1 comment:

Happy Mama to Three said...

I hope you are able to take some good memories with a few things from her home as well. And I think a collection of angels would pull on my heartstrings as well.

I am very sorry you are having to go through this though. And just a suggestion, have a jeweler take a quick look at the jewelry just so you know what you are giving away since you will be resonsible for all of those probate and estate taxes. Just my thought sweetie.

Cindi